Our Curriculum Includes
1. Literacy for Life
Mixture of words/reading materials that clients are exposed to in the real world and book studies based on popular books that are adapted.
2. Money & Time Management
Real world applications of money, time, and other mathematics skills.
3. Current Events
Reading and activities related to weekly concepts provided by News-2-You.
4. Cooking & Exploration
Exposure to hands on scientific experiments as well as cooking activities.
5. Community & Social Skills
Learning about San Antonio community (rodeo, fiesta, etc), as well as exposure to community places and how to act, dress, and communicate with others. Emphasis on practicing and modeling good social skills.
6. Recreation & Hobby
Structured lessons that expose clients to activities and hobbies outside what they may normally participate in, as well as practicing some familiar activities in a structured way.
7. Computers & Technology
Exposure to different activities on the computer including games, e-books, interactive websites, and provided software. Emphasis on internet safety.
– Must be diagnosed with a intellectual and/or developmental disability (I/DD)
– Must be 18 or over
– Must not exhibit aggressive behavior or be a danger to themselves or others
– Must not be at high risk for elopement (running away)
– Must not be medically fragile or need extensive medical care (diapering, toileting, and tube-feeding are accepted)
– Must be able to handle reasonably crowded or stimulating environments in the community
Volunteer Involvement Program (VIP)
The Volunteer Involvement Program (VIP) allows adults with disabilities the opportunity to give back to the community through volunteer projects with Meals on Wheels, Project4Paws, and The San Antonio Food Bank.
See Our Programs in Action
To learn more about our program. Check out our Facebook page.
Or read about life at The Arc through the eyes of one of our participants, Tameka: Tameka’s Blog.
**After school, summer and holiday care is available for teens/young adults (18-22) who are still in high school.
For more information on the adult program, please contact